Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics & Anti-Harrassment Policy
Future of Blockchain Conference is dedicated to providing a harassment-free ethical and inclusive event experience for everyone regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected category. We do not tolerate harassment of event participants in any form. Future of Blockchain Conference takes violations of our policy seriously and will respond appropriately.
All participants of Future of Blockchain Conference must abide by the following policy:
- Be respectful of each other and treat people fairly. We want the event to be an excellent experience for everyone regardless of gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected category. Treat everyone with respect. Participate while acknowledging that everyone deserves to be here — and each of us has the right to enjoy our experience without fear of harassment, discrimination, or condescension, whether blatant or via micro-aggressions. Jokes shouldn’t demean others. Consider what you are saying and how it would feel if it were said to or about you.
- Speak up if you see or hear something. Harassment is not tolerated, and you are empowered to politely engage when you or others are disrespected. The person making you feel uncomfortable may not be aware of what they are doing, and politely bringing their behavior to their attention is encouraged. If a participant engages in harassing or uncomfortable behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning or expelling the offender from the event with no refund. If you are being harassed or feel uncomfortable, notice that someone else is being harassed, or have any other concerns, please contact a member of the event staff immediately.
- Harassment is not tolerated. Harassment includes, but is not limited to: verbal language that reinforces social structures of domination related to gender identity and expression, sexual orientation, disabilities, neurodiversity, physical appearance, body size, ethnicity, nationality, race, age, religion, or other protected category; sexual imagery in public spaces; deliberate intimidation; stalking; following; harassing photography or recording; sustained disruption of talks or other events; offensive verbal language; inappropriate physical contact; and unwelcome sexual attention. Participants asked to stop any harassing behavior are expected to comply immediately.
- Practice saying “Yes and” to each other. It’s a theatre improv technique to build on each other’s ideas. We all benefit when we create together.
- Avoid injuring others, their property, data, reputation, or employment by false or malicious action. Do not engage in or participate in the spreading of any malicious rumors, defamation or any other verbal or physical abuses, against an attendee, employee or other person, whether on the Internet or otherwise.
- Comply with all applicable laws, rules and regulations governing conduct. Reject bribery in all forms. Avoiding real or perceived conflicts of interest whenever possible and disclosing them to affected parties when they do exist. Protect confidential information belonging to participants and personal information belonging to attendees, employees and other persons. Do not agree with competing persons or businesses to fix prices or reduce price competition through allocation of customers or markets, manipulate bids in any competitive bidding process, or engage in other acts that result in restraining trade.
- Do not misuse or infringe on the intellectual property of others.
This policy extends to talks, forums, workshops, codelabs, social media, parties, hallway conversations, all attendees, partners, sponsors, volunteers, event staff, etc. Future of Blockchain Conference reserves the right to refuse admittance to, or remove any person from, Future of Blockchain Conference hosted event including off site tours and social events at any time at its sole discretion. This includes, but is not limited to, attendees behaving in a disorderly manner or failing to comply with this policy, and the terms and conditions herein. If a participant engages in harassing or uncomfortable behavior, the event organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, including warning or expelling the offender from the event with no refund.
Our event staff can usually be identified by special badges/attire. Our zero tolerance policy means that we will look into and review every allegation of violation of our Code of Conduct, Code of Ethics and Anti-Harassment Policy and respond appropriately. Please note, while we take all concerns raised seriously, we will use our discretion as to determining when and how to follow up on reported incidents, and may decline to take any further action and/or may direct the participant to other resources for resolution.
Event staff will be happy to help participants contact hotel/venue security or local law enforcement, provide escorts, or otherwise assist those experiencing discomfort or harassment to feel safe for the duration of the event. We value your attendance.
Exhibiting partners, sponsors or vendor booths, or similar activities are also subject to this policy. In particular, exhibitors should not use sexualized images, activities, or other material. Booth staff (including volunteers) should not use sexualized clothing/uniforms/costumes, or otherwise create a sexualized environment. Participants and exhibiting partners or sponsors disobeying this policy will be notified and are expected to stop any offending behavior immediately.
Why this policy is important
Harassment at events and in online communities is unfortunately common. Creating an official policy aims to improve this by making it clear that harassment of anyone for any reason is not acceptable within our events and communities. This policy may prevent harassment by clearly defining expectations for behavior, aims to provide reassurance, and encourages people who have had bad experiences at other events to participate in this one.
Credits: This policy is licensed under the Creative Commons Zero license. Improvements on document include an ethics policy which has been derived from the IEEE Code of Conduct.